Using a skincare routine designed for your skin type is the key to balanced skin. If you have dry skin, you need to take extra care to ensure long-lasting hydration.
Keep reading to learn if you have dry skin. We’ll also tell you a skincare routine for your dry skin to keep it soft and hydrated all day long.
Dry Skin Type Causes
Dry skin types result from either minimal sebum production or a lack of moisture retention. Sebum is the oil in our skin, and if your skin doesn’t create enough, it can cause dry skin. Additionally, if your skin barrier cannot hold moisture or water, your skin can also dry out.
While this is usually genetically determined, certain environmental factors can exacerbate your skin. Excessive washing, exposure to dry climates, frequent dehydration, and sun damage can cause dry skin. As we age, our skin becomes less able to retain moisture, resulting in drier skin.
Dry Skin Type Characteristics
Dry skin types can be characterized by:
- Flaky or scaly skin
- Frequent redness
- Tight feeling on the skin
- Rough skin texture
- Skin cracks
- Fine lines appear deeper
More severe signs can be:
- Infections related to cracked skin
Dry Skin Type Routine
Step One: Cleanser
To cleanse dry skin, use a product that removes makeup and dead skin but does not strip the oils from the surface.
Our Perfect Cleansing Foam deeply cleanses without disrupting your oil and moisture levels. It contains vitamin E and green tea extract, both antioxidants that protect the skin. It also has sodium hyaluronate, a humectant that helps keep moisture locked in.
Apply a dime-size amount to damp skin and massage in a circular motion, then rinse with warm water.
Step Two: Toner
Toner can provide instant hydration while offering gentle exfoliation of dead skin cells. This is helpful for dry skin because it won’t strip your skin while exfoliating.
The Perfect Beautifying Toner is a botanical toner that instantly hydrates and freshens the dry skin on your face. The bacillus ferment in it gently exfoliates, and the beta-glucan and enantia chlorantha soothe and soften your skin. It also has sodium hyaluronate for an extra hydration boost.
Apply it to cleansed skin using either your fingers or a cotton swab.
Step Three: Serum
Serums are fast-absorbing, high concentrations of active ingredients. It’s beneficial to apply serums before moisturizers so the active ingredients can deeply penetrate your skin.
The “M” Serum is a hydrating serum that promotes plump, young-looking skin. It helps increase cell turnover rate, making fine lines appear smaller. It also minimizes the look of hyperpigmentation and sun damage.
After toning, apply a few drops of serum to your face and gently smooth and tap it in.
Step Four: Eye Cream
The skin under our eyes is the first area to show the effects of dry skin, with symptoms like dark circles, fine lines, and dullness under our eyes.
The “M” Eye Brightening treatment tackles dark or puffy circles under the eye caused by dry skin. It can improve the appearance of fine lines, reduce dark or puffy circles, and protect against blue light damage. It also promotes long-lasting hydration.
Take a small amount of the “M” Eye Brightening treatment and begin applying it around your eye. Start under your eye and go up beneath your brow bone. Use a light touch with your ring and middle finger to gently press it into your skin.
Step Five: Moisturizer
The best moisturizer for dry skin protects against environmental aggressors and quickly replenishes hydration.
The Perfect Cream intensely conditions and revives the look of tired or stressed skin. It quickly hydrates dry patches and restores weathered skin. Ingredients like vitamin C-ester and CoQ10 protect your skin from environmental aggressors like pollution and UV rays. It’s also fortified with seaweed extract and a bio-engineered renewal complex to rejuvenate, replenish, and soften dry skin.
Apply a quarter-size amount to your face after applying serums.
Step Six: Sun Care
Protecting your skin from sun damage is one of the most important ways to keep skin hydrated and youthful in the long run. Sun damage can cause dehydration, hyperpigmentation, deeper fine lines, and skin disorders.
The Perfect Sunscreen SPF 50+ Broad Spectrum can hold in hydration while defending against UVA and UVB rays. It’s fast-absorbing, water-resistant, and provides deep hydration while protecting your skin.
Apply daily at least 20 minutes before going outside and re-apply every 2 hours.
Step Seven: Lip Care
Don’t forget to take care of your lips. Dry and cracked lips are a symptom of dry skin types, and they need extra care to stay soft and supple.
The Perfect Lips treatment can instantly heal dry and cracked lips while providing anti-aging benefits. It can also prevent further damage by aiding water retention in your lips, boosting their natural ability to rejuvenate.
Perfect Lips can be applied as an overnight treatment or during the day for an instant hydration boost.
Using masks can help boost hydration overnight and improve your skin’s ability to retain moisture. They also help prevent signs of aging, which can become exacerbated by skin dryness.
Use the Anti-Aging Mask to renew your skin’s radiance. It replenishes dull, dry, and weathered skin while protecting it from pollutants. Jeju JoriTM combats skin inflammation, while panthenol and Phytomoist keep the skin hydrated and
Additional Dry Skin Type Care Tips
Dry skin types can be characterized by:
- Hydrate – Drinking water is one of the best ways to mitigate dry skin. Try to aim for eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. You can also drink non-caffeinated tea for both hydration and herbal benefits. Drinking green tea is a good boost of antioxidants while keeping your skin hydrated.
- Avoid the sun – Protecting your skin from direct sunlight will keep skin from getting dry and defend against skin cancers. While you should always use sunscreen protectants when you're outdoors, it’s also best to avoid long exposure to sunlight. Try limiting your time outdoors to only 1-2 hours if you can.
- Use a humidifier – Dry climates can wreak havoc on already dry skin, so keeping a humidifier in your home can keep your skin from drying out.
- Avoid hot baths – Sitting in hot water for a long duration can irritate and dry out your skin. Try an oatmeal bath in lukewarm water. Colloidal oatmeal, a fine powder made from oat grain, is an anti-inflammatory emollient that can soothe and soften dry skin. Add one cup of colloidal oatmeal to a lukewarm bath and soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Avoid alcohol – Alcohol dehydrates your body and skin quickly and can lead to signs of aging. Avoid any skincare products that use alcohol and try to limit your alcohol consumption.
- Proper diet – Eating antioxidant-rich foods such as berries, tomatoes, carrots, peas, and lentils promotes healthy cell production and helps your body fight free radicals.
- Be gentle – Dry skin types can become irritated quickly, so handle your skin with care. Be mindful of the environments you're in, and avoid harsh scrubbing or grainy exfoliants. This will help keep your skin hydrated and soft in the long run.
If you’re unsure if you have a dry skin type, read our guide for determining your skin type and how you should care for it.
What is your dry skincare routine? Tell us in the comments below!